Friday 3 September 2010

School Uniform *blub*

There comes a time in every mothers life when their child prepares for their first day at school. I thought I had this covered seeing as I have done the 'first day' thing at nursery and at two preschools!

Wrong.

It seems that I am set for a big melt down come Monday when my eldest boy has his first day at big school.

Today, for the first time, I managed to get him into the WHOLE uniform. I am not ashamed to admit that it brought tears to my eyes!

He looked adorable and VERY grown up all of a sudden.

I'm not sure if the impending sadness is just of heart swelling pride though. I genuinely believe this could have something to do with my losing my child into 'the system' and the inevitable changes that he will go through of which I have little or no control.

I know he is ready for school. I know he needs to learn. My concern is the unsupervised access to other peoples complete little sod's who irrevocably will have an impact on my child's personality.

He is a sensitive lad. He is not dry completely. He still has a sleep through the day. He turned 4 a week ago and is the youngest child in the whole school from Monday.

How does my maternal protection instinct extend to during school hours without making a complete nuisance of myself or committing social suicide on behalf of my child?

I'm really not sure how to begin to process any of this mentally.

I am sitting here indulging in the last few days of my little boy before he begins his journey into a young man. I hope his caring, gentle, adventurous, sensitive, loving, cuddly, smoochy, yummy demeanour stays in there. Somewhere.

He has the ability to blossom into a wonderful young man. I hope nobody undoes all of my hard work.

1 comment:

  1. T is a gorgeous little boy, he's done you proud, and will continue to do so.

    You have given him the best possible start and I have no hesitation in saying that you will continue to do so.

    He will become a little sod.. They all seem to go through that stage when they first start school, but it will calm down again and he will be the 'caring, gentle, adventurous, sensitive, loving, cuddly, smoochy, yummy demeanoured' T that you know and love.

    I've got ya back! xxx

    ReplyDelete